Monday, December 10, 2012

dresses at work?


DSC01068
Wearing pants is something that I thought was mandatory at work. I re-read our safety regulations recently and it specifies that legs need to be covered - nothing specifically about wearing pants! For most people, dresses/skirts with tights is a no brainer, but after 14 years of dance recitals, I was certain I would never make myself do that again. After watching girls like Kimmie and Whitney rock cute tights with their dresses and skirts, I was willing to give it another try. I was offered the opportunity to try out some No nonsense tights and leggings, so what's a better way to test out if I liked the dress/tights look than with free tights? 

I'm also unsure how I feel about Louboutin shoes and Chanel bags...

Kidding! Back to the tights. I received these cute purple patterned tights and red corduroy leggings.  The tights were a no brainer. I wanted as much of my legs "double covered" so I wore my old beat up boots (future post to come about upgrading to a nicer pair). Because I am fairly tall (5'9''), most regular dresses tend to be a bit short on me, so wearing tights actually helped me feel less exposed in the thighs. The tights held up very well throughout the day. They were long enough for me so there was no awkward gapping, and the control top meant I didn't have to suck in as much. Now that I know I can actually wear skirts and dresses (as long as my legs are still covered) to work, I'm excited to expand those parts of my closet.

DSC01076













DSC01070
Dress: Old Navy  {very similar}
Tights: No nonsense (c/o)
Scarf: gift from my mom
Belt: The Limited  {save / splurge}
Socks: Urban Outfitters  {very similar}
Boots: Steve Madden  {similar}
Watch: Boccia



















DSC00891
I found bright red leggings a little harder to fit into my normal day-to-day wear. I maintain that leggings are not pants to be worn with a short shirt, so a tunic was necessary for me. I wore my leggings with a sweater tunic, scarf and jacket for a walk out with the dogs. The nice thing about these leggings is that they are corduroy so they kept me warmer than some of my other cotton leggings. I would recommend sizing down though, as my pair were a little too large for me. I've been wearing my pair around the house a lot as they are so comfortable!














DSC00873
Jacket: Souvenir from Germany  {save / splurge}
Leggings: No nonsense (c/o)
Boots: Steve Madden {similar}
Hat: Forever 21
Scarf: DIY
Dog: not for sale ;)

Disclosure: Find your pair of affordable No nonsense tights and leggings here. I was sponsored by No nonsense for this opportunity. All opinions are my own.

25 comments:

  1. You tights are super cute. I love how you put dog no for sale:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these tights! I tend to go boring with mine--I need to seek out some fun patterns and colors! I adore the first outfit, by the way. It's just the right amount of edgy, but cute.
    You're adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my question, O Leggings Goddess: if you have a dress or a skirt that's slightly too short to be work appropriate, do opaque tights automatically make it okay? I've never tried it, but I'm not gonna lie and say I haven't thought about it. I mean, technically you're covered. And also, your puppy has the fashion blogger pose DOWN... do NOT look at the camera! Act nonchalant! ;)

    Samantha @ Sam ipsa loquitur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wondered the same thing--and I plan to try it out tomorrow at work! ha! Can we just claim that it works and have solidarity in that? ;)

      Delete
    2. I would think so! Unless you are seeing thigh that only manfriends and your doctor see, then NO (ok maybe).

      and Hansi is better at being photographed than I am. such a diva.

      Delete
  4. Cute tights! I love wearing tights, and I definitely find that I can wear shorter dresses than I would wear in the summer with bare legs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That red color is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray! Did anyone at your work say anything about the skirt and tights? Does this open up a lot more options for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no one said anything, and I saw both my supervisor and manager. SO I'M DOING IT. Well, at least occasionally - on days I know I don't have to do lab work.

      Delete
  7. I recently discovered your blog and am digging your style. Your look is professional (but still fun) and on trend (without being a "trend salad"). I have already gleaned some serious inspiration from your outfits. Also, welcome to the world of dresses. You are gonna love it!

    clotheskarma.tumblr.com <--- my very irregularly updated blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the first pair of tights! I love wearing dresses to work, and darker colored tights are a great way to sneak all your slightly shorter dresses and skirt under the motif of "appropriate work attire", hahaha.

    Lynette @ lynette marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could do the tights with boots and cute knee socks peeking out thing - I adore the look but I think I'm too short. I tried knee highs with a skirt once and freaked myself out, hehe. I adore your first look, I hope you start wearing dresses or skirts to work more often because you've got some great legs, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried colored tights yet. I'm kind of afraid, but this look makes me much less afraid:). Your outfit looks polished, work appropriate, and stylish:)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm nervous about tights too:) I'll have to check them out though!
    xoAmy
    www.dreamingincashmere.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray for being able to wear dresses at work! This is super cute, so I'm looking forward to seeing more outfits with dresses and skirts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this outfit! I actually have this dress in green, and I like how you styled it! I'll have to try it out. I adore wearing tights and leggings with dresses and skirts - and I totally wear shorter dresses with them to expand my wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these outfits! I was always a DRESSES AND TIGHTS girl until the last few years. I am just starting to wear them a lot again and it's been so fun. Good for you for working out a loophole for pantsless work days ;)

    www.boxandbrownie.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look so cute in a dress!!!! I love it.

    And I applaud girls who can pull off leggings as pants, or at least, leggings under long sweaters because I love that look. So far I've only worn leggings under dresses, so they pretty much act as tights. I'm so self conscious of having my butt hang out! Jeggings, on the other hand, are another story, because they're pretty much just tight jeans, and have pockets and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the purple patterned tights! I need to add some more pop into my closet, and that might be a fun addition. Thanks for the inspiration!

    -AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the patterned tights you got! They look so fun and love the way you paired them with the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute, I love patterned tights! I got a black polka dot pair and a maroon pair a little earlier this fall that I haven't put on the blog yet but I'm loving your inspirations - thinking I'm going to pair mine with boots to stay a little warmer throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. love those tights girl! you know the second pair is my fave because it's so vibrant :)

    Chioma
    C's Evolution of Style

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wear dresses and skirts to work about 90% of the time. Tights are such a lifesaver! (I'm looking for a pair of fleece-lined ones for winter.)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing and chatting with you guys, so please make sure you aren't a "No Reply" commenter (that means your email address isn't shown when you leave a comment so I can't email you back!).