Tuesday, December 18, 2012

ketchup and mustard

DSC01182
I'm ready for this week to be over. Two people of 4-person team were pulled into a different department so now we have to cover their duties as well so this week has been a little (a lot) hectic. We're also supposed to get a huge snow storm tomorrow - gross. I seriously hate snow so I ask myself why I live in this state every winter.

The good news is once Friday comes, I get to fly off to the Gulf for a week to spend time with the entire family. Plus Chris will finally be home for a while :) God I've missed that guy.






linking up with wiww.






DSC01192
Sweater: Thrifted  {save / splurge}
T-Shirt: Gap
Scarf: DIY
Belt: Madewell  {similar}
Jeans: Joe's Jeans  {similar}
Shoes: Tory Burch  {exact}
Watch: Boccia
Nails: Deborah Lippmann Stormy Weather {exact}

















DSC01185
After my last post about my thrifted Grandpa sweater (did you guys like the song?), Bri asked if I had any tips for thrifting.  To be honest, I haven't done a ton of thrift shopping in my life so I don't have years of experience to tell you how the best way to go about buying clothes second hand. I've only gone to our local Goodwill, Savers and St. Vinny's but here are a few things I've learned from those experiences and from around the internet:

- Take your time. The thing with thrift stores is that there is no display or giant racks of the same thing. Look through each rack piece by piece.

- Try on anything that catches your attention. You'll never know until you try!

- Find out when your local stores have discounts. Our Savers store is 25% off on Mondays. Goodwill has weekend sticker percentages off. St. Vinnys often has a certain type of item on sale. A $4 sweater becomes a $3 - we all know how much I love a bargain!

- Don't forget to wash anything you buy. 

- For all your experienced thrifters, I would welcome any tips you have as well!

22 comments:

  1. I like all the thrifted sweaters lately!

    Some of my tips:

    1. Touch everything. You can't always tell by looking if something is acrylic or wool, silk or polyester. Get familiar with those fabrics and you'll know quickly what's of value and what you should leave behind. I prefer to buy silk, cashmere, wool at thrifts over synthetic materials, because comprable good quality items are exponentially more at new retail costs.

    2. If you purchase thrifted shoes, an alcohol wipe inside and out will get the item much cleaner. You can also use water in baggies inside the shoe to stretch a shoe that's just a bit tight. Just freeze it and the water baggie will stretch your shoe! It works best on leather, but I've also had success with inexpensive pairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a toucher so I totally agree with you on touching everything. I've never heard of that water trick - definitely trying that next time, thank you!

      Delete
  2. Love this outfit - the mustard/yellow really suits you! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look so cute Fran! love that scarf and it's a DIY? have fun in the gulf with your fam!

    Chioma
    C's Evolution of Style

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great tips. I would also add that just like any other shopping experience, don't be blinded by the low price. Too often I've taken home something that I ended up never wearing. Just because it's only $5 doesn't mean that it's not a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. heheh best blog post title ever! love the scarf and of course i LOVE mustard!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that outfit... mustard is my favorite! And you made the scarf, for real? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One tip that I would add, don't overlook any department...I've found things I love from every section (men's, boy's...). And try to find that "out of the way" thrift store, not just the obvious Salvation Army and Goodwill...I've found my gems in those tiny church shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honey!!! I hope work slows down a bit for you! I know how crazy that can be when you have a good system going on and then it is broken. And I just have to tell you I LOVE how you style your clothing! So casual yet polished. So everyday chic which is perfection and so midwestern! Just how I like it! Basically I would love to shop with you!

    Chao
    Poppie
    http://thepoppie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha at first I was like "midwestern? :O" but obviously, that is where we are and who we are. Thanks doll :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the tips! Can't wait to see even more pop up in the comments. I think the "take your time" part is the hardest for me - I need to find the time on a weekday when there are fewer people to really give myself time to dig through. I should probably apply your F21 tips too of knowing which sections to look in - the whole store would be really overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! And love this color on you, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the mustard colour with the plaid scarf! Ughh hope you survive the week at work! Thanks goodness for Christmas and a bit of a break :)

    life-etcblog.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woah just noticed that belt and I'm in love. Love I tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so in love with mustard and that sweater is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fran, I'll trade you my house in the desert (where it's projected to hit 70+ degrees this weekend) for your place and some SNOW!!! I'm a cold weather girl and miss it so much. I love this color scheme and mustard is so pretty on you. Sounds like work is hectic but I hope you're looking forward to some much needed time off next week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this color on you Fran! And so jealous that you get to fly out of here soon! We didn't really get any of the winter storm, despite a ridiculous amount of unwarranted panic (literally every flight coming into & going out of Chi after 4pm was cancelled yesterday!) We got no snow - just cold and super windy today. Man, you keep reminding me that I haven't been thrifting in awhile, I need to take some time next week and go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you not get ANY of it and we got so much of it? That's crazy! And you should go thrifting - you have so many great options in Chicago!

      Delete

I love hearing and chatting with you guys, so please make sure you aren't a "No Reply" commenter (that means your email address isn't shown when you leave a comment so I can't email you back!).