Sunday, February 3, 2013

refining my wardrobe: part 2

via
This is the second installment of refining my wardrobe which is based off of Putting Me Together's Wardrobe from Scratch. Part one of RMW involved defining my lifestyle and what my style preferences gravitate towards. Part two is going to be all about colors. Again, this is based off of PMT's color post - all pictures are from Audrey's site or from Academichic and then sometimes altered by me. I highly urge you to read both of these posts before you read mine as they actually know what they're talking about and I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this.

choosing neutrals


Audrey recommends sticking to 1-2 neutrals that can be mixed and match throughout your closet. For me, these neutrals are a tan/cognac and black. I have purses (cognac | black), shoes (cognac | black), and belts in both of these colors, although I'd like to update the belts as mine were cheap and aren't in the greatest condition. I know that black works well for my wardrobe, and my black cigarette jeans were one of my most worn items. I'd like to also incorporate more cream in my closet, probably through tops and accessories.

choosing a color palette

Audrey suggests choosing 2-3 colors and focusing on those first for those building their wardrobe from scratch. For refining my wardrobe, I'd like to figure out what colors I feel most comfortable with and what is already in my closet, and then look to find what colors work well with them. In my closet, the majority of my clothes are in the blue and red color families. I rarely do orange, greens, or yellows (except for my mustard cardigan which seems to go with everything).  I just went and looked through the last few month's worth of outfits, and I rarely deviate from the red and blue family. I do enjoy darker greens as well, such as my cargo vest, and am actually on the look out for a military green shirt as I think it would be a great neutral alternative to a chambray shirt (I have my eye on this one).


According to Academichic's post on color, I should use the 2/3 triad rule to work with my colors of preference. This means I would work with 2 of the 3 colors and then work between brights and more muted colors. As I understand it (and we all know this could be wrong), a bright red cardigan with a muted blue chambray shirt would work well together, or a bright mustard cardigan would work with a muted purple. I think I'm going to keep a print out of this color wheel in my closet (or at least on my cell phone) so I have a guide for working with colors on a daily basis.


Understanding what color families I stick to means I can focus finding complimentary colors and pairings. I think a few more muted colors, such as darker teals, purples and wines will compliment the current brighter items in my closet well. I believe up next in Audrey's Wardrobe from Scratch is fit, so I'm sure we'll have plenty to learn from her!

10 comments:

  1. I've been reading this series and I'm LOVING it. I don't have enough money to completely remake my wardrobe at the moment, but I'm definitely using the colors/styles that I've chosen to buy everything I want from now on. Such a great shopping tool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this. i also reference THIS site a lot to play around with colors. i like it because you can move the dial around to see different shades of the colors you want to work with in a monochromatic, complement, triad (2/3) way and there are a couple others too. when you see it that way, you realize certain colors look great together that you wouldn't have originally thought! i'll have to share this link with audrey, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely have colors that I seem to gravitate to! My fashion classes in college taught me a lot about coordinating colors and I feel like I've incorporated that into everyday dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of having a color wheel ready at hand when planning outfits is a really good idea! And can I say that the military green shirt you are looking at is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually have such a hard time creating a color palette and your pictures are actually really helpful. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cool theory! I never thought about sticking to a certain number of neutrals and colors but I guess that really would make everything a lot more remixable. Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really dislike wearing black & do not own a black everyday use handbag. Since starting the 365 blog I've noticed I wear a lot of navy/navy based patterns and I do like a brown wedge/sandal/boot. I could also never stick to just a few colours as I love to wear all the colours. I do gravitate towards purple (you might have noticed..!), green & pink but am not afraid to pull out yellow, coral or red (I love red). These pictures are fantastic, so pleasing on the eye. I don't think I'll ever be a wardrobe refiner but it's a really interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the color wheel idea! I was really into art in high school and love working with color. But I never really transferred that into clothing!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is all so interesting, I should do this! (Yeah I say that now, but... I never follow through :P) Thanks for all the helpful links, in any case. Look forward to see how it goes for you! xo

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing and chatting with you guys, so please make sure you aren't a "No Reply" commenter (that means your email address isn't shown when you leave a comment so I can't email you back!).