Saturday, February 16, 2013

to disqus or not to disqus

I've been going back and forth about trying to decide if I want to enable disqus comments again on my blog. I had them for a while, and then removed them. In the end, for me commenting is about having a discussion, and that discussion is with you, so I need your input! Here are my thoughts on Disqus:

Pros
- We can communicate better. There aren't any "no-reply" commenters, I can respond directly to you in line and you will receive an email, and everyone else can see the reply as well. You can't do that with blogger comments - if I reply in line you won't receive a notification, and if you leave an email address, no one else sees the reply.
- You can see what other blogs people comment on, and discover new blogs (although this may be a con for some people)

Cons
- Some people don't have a Disqus profile and may not comment
- Some profiles are not set up correctly, so I can't find other people's blogs
- It takes a few seconds longer to load
- Doesn't always work on the mobile layout

So what are your thoughts? Do you love Disqus as a blogger? Prefer not to use Disqus as a commenter? Please cast your vote or let me know your thoughts!