Saturday, May 25, 2013

everlane v-neck tee review

In recent months, I've been working through the items in my current closet, taking a mental inventory of what I have, removing pieces that are no longer worn, and thinking about the pieces I'd like to add. One of the big staples that I was missing was a white tee shirt - something so simple, yet apparently so difficult to find the "perfect" version for me. There were certain things I wanted in this tee:
  • I didn't want it to be semi see-through. I wear these tanks under everything I wear, but I don't want them to show.
  • I don't want a clingy material. I have enough going on in the torso area that I don't want wrinkles to be added
  • I want a full sleeve, not a capped sleeve. Shorter sleeves tend to cut across the thickest part of the arm, which only emphasizes the thickness. I also don't want them to be skin tight.
  • The v-neck needs to be deep enough to elongate the upperbody, but not too deep that it shows too much cleavage. I also didn't want the tank underneath it to show out the top.
  • I would prefer there wasn't a pocket on the front. My chest is fairly large (for reference, I wear a 36D), so a small little pocket on the front would look comical.
Seems like a lot of wants in just a plain tee shirt, but I'd rather have one shirt I am comfortable wearing than five where I only like parts of it.

I first heard about Everlane from Jess about a year ago and was intrigued by what they were offering - simple and classic basic pieces with designer quality at not designer prices. I don't really like ordering clothes online that I can't return easily, so I didn't order them right away. Over the last few months I tried on several tees from a variety of stores. I didn't alway takes pictures because they were pretty disappointing, and only fulfilled a percentage of my requirements. For example, the J.Crew Factory tee on the left (sorry about the terrible picture quality) has long enough sleeves, but the neckline was too low, and the fabric too clingy. The J.Crew version on the right had the right neckline, but was see-through in real life, and also too thin/clingy.
Eventually I was sick of trying on a bunch of tees that just weren't working, and ordered two shirts from Everlane - the v-neck tee in white and in muted black. I ordered them Wednesday evening, and I received them today, Saturday.
everlane tee
These tees fulfill all of my preferences - the right neckline, the sleeves are longer and not skin tight, the fabric is soft, not clingy and not completely transparent, and best of all, they are appropriately priced at $15 a piece. I would prefer about 1.5 more centimeters of fabric on the sleeve, but overall I am very very pleased with this t-shirt. As a reference, I'm usually between a medium and a large in tops, and I ordered the large from Everlane.
everlane muted black tee
As far as longevity, I obviously do not have any personal experience yet. Lauren, whose opinion on clothing I highly respect, swears by these tees and can speak to the longevity of the quality.
photo (5)
If you are interested in testing these tees out for yourself, you can create an account here. You get free shipping if you order 2 or more items, and they offer more than these tees so it's definitely worth taking a look around (I kind of love this tote bag, and maybe eventually will try this silk shirt).
everlane white v

30 comments:

  1. Oooh perfect! I'm so glad they worked out for you. I think you'll just have to order a few more to send to me, lol. They look awesome on you! And sucks that such a simple and basic item is like the most difficult to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of Everlane! I'm checking them out - the Everlane tees look AWESOME on you! So glad your search is over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that crazy how a simple white tee is so hard to find? I'm actually still on the hunt for mine! I've tried a couple but these from Everlane looks great! Thank you for introducing them!

    xo - Sheila
    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for finding the perfect white tee! I've been searching for one, and am amazed by how many are see-through, as well as how many have crazily big V-necks. :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Franzi, ich habe das gleiche Problem mit weißen T-Shirts, sie sind entweder viel zu dünn und durchsichtig oder der Schnitt gefällt mir nicht. Die zwei Shirts sind echt schmeicheln aber das weißt T-Shirt ist auch durchsichtig, du trägst einen schwarzen BH oder? hehehe :-)

    Ani
    www.fleurani.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha ja meine kleine fleurani, ich habe einen schwarzen BH an :( ich wurde natuerlich normalerweise einen weisen tragen!

      Delete
  6. My biggest issue is finding tees long enough. You're tall, right? How well do they hit at your hips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some Everland V-neck T's I'm 5'9" and they hit me at the hip. They are long enough!! :)

      Delete
    2. I have several Everlane T's and I'm 5'9" - they hit me at the hip

      Delete
  7. Isn't it crazy that the most "simple" of pieces are the most difficult to find? I'll have to check out Everlane. I'm still not happy with the white tees I do have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have similar preferences, particularly the need for a sleeve!! Thanks for your feedback on Everlane...and t-shirts in general.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on finally ending your search for the perfect tee! Looks good.

    -AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found one at Old Navy but I am not sure how long it will last. As a plus size girl on top of being top heavy similar to you, I struggle with shirts in general. Congrats on finding the perfect tee!

    http://makinghistorymyway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look perfect! I have a couple from LOFT that have lasted me a couple of years, and they're not looking worn out yet, but they've always been clingier than I prefer. I am definitely going to check out Everlane. (that purse is a style/color I've been looking for, incidentally)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH MY GOSH! These look so nice! And now I'm sad... I was actually looking for Jess's article about these t-shirts before ordering my white one from Banana Republic because I remember she loved a certain t-shirt brand but for the life of me I could not remember! Anyway, glad they worked! I might just have to order a second white t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So awesome, Fran! I've heard lots of good stuff about Everlane, but haven't ordered anything yet. I think proportionally, we're similar in our bodies (although I'm a little bigger than you - I usually wear a 38D and am a true L in tops). Most of the things you mentioned as "must-haves" in a tee are things that I look for as well. I will need to check these out!!

    theoriginalbrynn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! I'm glad they worked out for you. We have the same size chest, and are pretty much the same size. Mine fits just like yours, a bit longer since I'm 5'4".

    I did try the silk blouse, loved the quality and drape. The fit through the body was perfect, even on the chest, but the arms were a bit tight on me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, confession: I have a ridiculous fear of buying white tees or even ANY light coloured shirt with sleeves. I'm always scared that the underarms will turn yellow! What tips do you or your readers have to keep my whites clean and bright??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had something to help you but I've never really had that problem :( I wish I knew how to help though!

      Delete
    2. For white shirts - Clorox Bleach Pen any yellow areas, let sit for a few mins, rinse, soak in Oxyclean overnight. Wash in laundry with bleach.

      Delete
  17. I'm so glad that you reviewed these because I've been thinking about ordering some for the past year, lol. I have way too many white tees in my closet that I don't wear because they don't fit quite right, are see-through, or show too much cleavage. I do like the LOFT sunwashed cotton tees, they have a modified v neck one that is just right.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing your review! I'm a weirdo who prefers a crew neck to a v-neck so I was sad to see that Everlane doesn't seem to have non v-neck versions. But I'll keep checking in case they end up stocking them. Finding a non see-thru white tee is so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I prefer crew neck too, but I'll keep my eye on Everlane! I love that they're made in the US. I'm glad you finally found a good white tee. I have a lot of similar requirements as you do, and it's so hard to fulfill them! I find it's harder to find simple basics when you have standards - one reason I hate the women's fashion industry sometimes. Bah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, wow. I think my brain leaked out of my ear sometime in the night. I see now that Everlane DOES have crew versions! Oops.

      Delete
  20. Dang, I love everlane. Over the last few years I've bought their Ts in just about every color. They fit, they last, I like supporting the company- all around YAY. (Also, I really like their belts.)
    I was unimpressed with their cashmere, but I'm super stoked to try out their silk shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the way these Ts fit you. I have a terrible problem finding a simple T because I'm busty(such a silly word)tall and have a long waist. I ordered a few and one for my guy too. Hope they work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am always on the hunt for a simple T that fits my frame. I'm busty(such a funny word) tall and have a long torso. I hope these are a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so helpful to me...I really want one of these but wasn't sure which size to order since I'm normally between a medium and large as well...looks like a large will work for me too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. great post, i am looking for the perfect t too! I agree about a slightly longer sleeve, perhaps everlane will offer something for those of us without stick arms...

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing and chatting with you guys, so please make sure you aren't a "No Reply" commenter (that means your email address isn't shown when you leave a comment so I can't email you back!).