Thursday, July 4, 2013

i'm an alien, i'm a legal alien

DSC07585
On Tuesday I had a date with immigration services. As a permanent resident, you have to renew your greencard every decade or so, so this week it was my lucky turn to go.

It's strange, being a permanent resident - you don't always feel like you really belong in either place. In the States, I'm known as the German. I was born in Germany, my parents are very German, and my name is about as German as you can get. But when I go back to Germany, most of the time I'm introduced as the American. I'm Americanized, I speak English better than German, and I feel that America is where I'll more than likely spend the rest of my life. At the same time, I think I would have a hard time giving up my German citizenship - Germany doesn't allow dual-citizenship (except for like... ambassador's children or something) so I would have to choose. Even though I don't plan on living in Germany now, who knows? I would feel like I was betraying my family and my heritage by giving it up, even though I consider America home.
DSC07593
DSC07590
Tee: Everlane
Skirt: J.Crew Factory [same style]
Belt: H&M Mens 
Shoes: BCBGeneration [similar]
Sunglasses: Ralph Lauren [exact]
DSC07584
a happy Fourth of July to everyone who considers America home :)

Linking up with mix and match fashion!