Tuesday, October 22, 2013

slimming the knees of dress pants & anatomy adventures

Navy Ankle Pants + Neutrals

Today is our last day of anatomy and I'm torn about how I feel about that.

I'm actually pretty sad- it's crazy how far we've all come in the last twelve weeks. I was one of the unfortunate ones in the class who didn't take anatomy before, so learning everything in such a small amount of time was really, really intense. I would be lying if I said I didn't sit in front of my atlas crying a few times, but the closer I became with my lab group, and the more I figured out how to actually study, the better it got. 

To be able to cut into a human body and learn how everything works is definitely an experience few people get to have, so I'm thankful I got to be one of them. I think we all felt some kind of weird connection with our cadaver. It was disheartening to see how much our bodies go through as we age, but also inspiring that this person decided that they wanted to let us learn from them, even in death. I'm glad that our school structured it that we did anatomy first - it made this whole medical school/becoming doctors real. Now that we're basically done with anatomy (our cumulative exam is this afternoon - keep all of your digits crossed for me because I'm tested out), I'm sad that from here on out it's just books and flash cards. 

DSC09253

In other (not so morbid) news, I finally got my pants back from the tailor. When I initially compared these from The Limited against these from Banana Republic, my biggest issue was that the knees were just too baggy. This is a problem I have with all pants, so I finally just took them in to my tailor to see what she thought. She said it was a relatively easy fix, and pinned them on one knee to see the difference, as you can see below:
slimming the knees on pants

In the end, I'm pleased with the subtle improvement. They aren't perfect, there is still some bunching and pulling, but I think that is expected for all pants that are actually worn all day. Part of the problem is definitely the strange shape of my legs, but I do think that this slimming helped the weird bunchiness that was going on. It cost me $10 to have this done as they are unlined pants. I think the difference is worth that, so I may take my maroon pair in to have the same thing done the next time I need to take something in.

DSC09255
Shirt: J.Crew [exact on sale]
Sweater: J.Crew thrifted 
Pants: The Limited [exact]
Shoes: J.Crew Factory [exact on sale]
Watch: Fossil [similar]

Whoa, I feel that's a lot of J.Crew. Might have to add another piece to the collection this week though - I'm heading to Pittsburgh tomorrow for a bit of shopping (and buying groceries at Trader Joes apparently because my California friend is a crazy person and refuses to leave his apartment once it starts to snow so he needs to stock up on food), and I really want to try on this long sleeved peplum top while we're at a bigger mall that has a J.Crew. Has anyone tried it on yet? I wish that this sweater was still available because it's adorable - maybe I'll get lucky and fine a lone one in store?