Monday, January 19, 2015

is it okay to wear black and brown together?

mixing black and brown leathers I used to be fiercely against wearing black and brown together, especially when it came to leathers. I think I read that rule somewhere in a fashion magazine when I was in my early teens, and I took it as the gospel. You know, along with other silly rules like no white after labor day and vertical stripes are the most flattering stripes.

Clearly, I no longer abide by the black and brown rule when it comes to clothing, but I still get a little weird about it when it comes to leather. I don't think I could ever wear a brown belt with black shoes!  Or maybe even a black watch band with tan shoes. Is that silly? 

Who knows, here I am, breaking all my own rules with a cognac tote and black boots. It doesn't feel as wrong, for some reason!
Loft STRIPED LAYERING TEE
DSC06886
(horizonal, for shame!) striped tee: Loft [exact on sale]
Cardigan: J.Crew Factory [same style]
Pants: Gap [similar]
Scarf: H&M [similar]
Boots: Vince Camuto [exact]
Tote: Madewell [save | exact]
Watch: c/o Daniel Wellington [exact]
Daniel Wellington Classic Sheffield
Madewell Transport Tote

besides these deep philosophical style conversations, here are a few current MLK Day sales: