Tuesday, October 27, 2015

beauty tuesday: aveda volumizing tonic review

Aveda volumizing tonic review
Every hair dresser I have ever seen has told me the same thing. I have fine hair, but at least I have a lot of it. Yay?

The issue with fine hair is that it doesn't hold a curl very well, and it easily looks flat. I've tried tons of different volumizing products over the year - from mousses to powders to aquage to good ol' teasing. My hair dresser the last time I went in introduced me to the Aveda Volumizing Tonic and I've been in love with it ever since.

What it promises
This remarkable tonic creates maximum volume on fine and medium hair. With certified organic aloe and wheat amino acids to help build body and add shine. Enhanced with a Pure-Fume aroma containing essential oils to uplift your senses.

For fine to medium hair
Adds lift at the root
Weightless volume
Adds shine

What it actually does
All of the above. 

How to use it
I let my air dry to about 50% dryness, then I use my Kiehl's smoothing cream. Then I spray the Aveda volumizing tonic between the layers - basically each third, and then an extra for the top/front layer. Then I use my hairdryer and round brush to dry my hair. 

What I like
Well, for one, it actually does what it says. It doesn't leave any build-up in my hair, it doesn't change the texture (like mousse does), and it smells really nice. It just magically builds up my hair without changing it - I liked the volume I got with aquage and certain building powders, but I always felt it made my hair sticky.

It also lasts a long time - it's hard to see in the picture, but it's still like 7/8 full, and I've been using it since July. The price is fairly reasonable (at least on par with other Aveda products) - $21 for 3.4 ounces. 

What I don't like
I can't think of anything in particular. Cheaper would of course always be nicer ;)

Would I buy this again?
Absolutely! My fine hair is more voluminous, more natural looking than with other products, and just overall looks healthier. Two enthusiastic thumbs up :)

Note: I looooove beauty and hair products, and really enjoy researching and trying out new things. This new series of Beauty Tuesday will be all about products that have, and have not, worked for me. I'm still playing around with the format, so if you want to see or hear a specific thing about each product, please let me know!