Tuesday, January 12, 2016

beauty tuesday: first aid beauty ultra repair hydrating serum

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Hydrating Serum

A few weeks ago on my Fresh face oil review, one of my readers Musja mentioned that an oil may not give me the moisture my skin needs, and to try a serum instead. I didn't really know where to start when it came to looking for a serum, so I went to my go-to beautypedia to see what they recommended. The highest rated item was the Hydrating Serum from First Aid Beauty, and after reading a few other reviews, I quickly ordered myself a bottle. I generally like to wait several weeks before doing a skincare review, but I have had such great results so far that I felt I needed to share, especially since the winter weather is just starting to really hit a lot of us!

what it promises:
Formulated for all skin types, this hydrating gel instantly infuses skin with optimal hydration to plump and minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Hyaluronic acid—a moisture-locking agent that stores up to 1,000 times its molecular weight in water—helps hydrate, hydrate, plump, and nourish. Antiaging peptides help minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while collagen helps increase firmness and elasticity, restore texture, and replenish skin. Ultra Repair’s signature ingredient, colloidal oatmeal, along with aloe leaf juice calm and soothe irritated skin for an allover healthy-looking complexion. This water-based gel penetrates immediately into the skin leaving behind an invisible shield that seals in hydration. Its lightweight texture makes it perfect for layering under your favorite AM and PM moisturizers. 

how I use it:

In the morning, after I've washed my face and applied the Paula's Choice Exfoliant to problem areas, I use about half of a squirt on the dry areas of my face, which is typically around my mouth, the apples of my cheeks, and between my eyebrows. Once dry, I follow up with my CeraVe moisturizer.

what I like:

If the Fresh face oil was helping my dryness by 25%, the First Aid serum is helping it by 85%. From the first day I used it, I noticed a huge decrease in the flakiness of my skin. This has been a HUGE change for me - my face has been so dry and peeling the weeks before that that I really noticed a change. I used to have to go into the bathroom several times a day just to scarp the flakes off - and since starting to use the serum, I haven't had to do that once. I have been using the serum for 10 days now, and haven't had a single horrible flaky day yet. 

In an additional plus over the face oil, it doesn't leave any slickness to my skin at all. With the oil I always knew if I used even one drop too many that my skin could stay oily (and still flaky) for the whole day. This hasn't happened at all with the serum/gel since it absorbs right into the skin.

That is my personal experience with the serum - here is the beautypedia review that goes a bit into the ingredients and why it works (backed by published scientific research). Many of you have recommended finding a product with hyaluronic acid in it, which this serum has, and you guys were so right - it really does help with keeping my skin calm and moisturized!

what I don't like:

Like I said, I would say this is making my skin 85% better - I don't think any one product will really get me to 100% perfect dewy skin (is that even attainable? who knows). I wouldn't say that the product is sticky or leaves a residue by any means, but it definitely doesn't feel as luxurious and smooth as face oils do. Besides the price ($36 for 1 oz), those are really the only "downsides" I have found with this product. 

would I buy this again? 

Based on results, I would definitely buy the First Aid Hydrating Serum again. Since this is my first experience with serums and hyaluronic acid, I may test out a few other products once this bottle is done, but I see no reason other than that not to buy another bottle in the future.