Monday, May 13, 2013

one year of budgetting: a slap on the wrist / pat on the back

DSC05617
I purchased this anchor belt last summer, and I think it may have been the smartest purchasing decision I made those months. If I look back to what I actually did purchase a year ago (MayJuneJuly), I'm not really wearing those items any more (except this belt of course). I was making a lot of impulse purchases, not thinking about what I wanted my style to be, and what I wanted in my closet. I wasn't thinking about how I could re-wear items, how they fit on my body, and if the trends were something I wanted to spend my money on.

I started working with a budget a year ago, and I've definitely learned a lot since then. I've sold or donated most of the items from a year ago actually, and it makes me angry that I wasn't better about shopping then. I'm no where near a perfect shopper now, and I still make shopping mistakes, but I do feel like my purchases are adding something to my closet other than just another item I won't own a year from now. Between my list of items I would like to add, and understanding my preferred style better, I feel the purchases I've made recently won't end up in someone else's closet by this time next year. For example, my new nude flats have already been worn three times this week. They were something I identified was missing in my closet, I took the time looking for a quality pair that is comfortable (which these are! they were comfortable from the second I put them on and have required absolutely no breaking in, which is a first for me), and now I feel I could wear them everyday.

I still have a lot to learn about being a smart shopper, especially with the transition my wardrobe is going to take in the coming months, but I'm proud of where I am now as compared to a year ago.
DSC05595
DSC05600
Blouse: J.Crew Factory [exact]
Skirt: thrifted
Belt: Madewell [exact on sale]
Tights: Target
Shoes: Sam Edelman [exact]
Necklace: Forever 21 [exact]
Earrings: Ralph Lauren [exact]
Watch: Target [save | dream]
Nails: Essie Fifth Avenue + Julep Oscar
DSC05613
DSC05623
downside of taking your own pictures: no one around to tell you your necklace is all wanky.