Thursday, February 27, 2014

february budget


Target Flats: $20
Loft Tee: originally $30, on sale for $12
Forever 21 Scarf [seen here]: $10
Anne Emma Necklace [seen here]: $15

February budget = $57

Left for the quarter: $463














So this is the least amount of money I've spent on clothing in a really long time. I've been busy with core ending and systems starting, so I haven't had much time to online or in store shop. The one time I did go, this past weekend, I didn't find anything I liked besides the striped shirt, which I already own in pink. I think it's definitely partially due to being sick of winter clothes, but being no where near being able to wear spring clothes as it continues to snow every.damn.day.

Thank you so much for all of your tips about getting out of the shopping rut on that post!! I've been spending some time looking online at stores I don't typically shop at like ASOS and Dorothy Perkins, and signed up to try out StitchFix for a month just to try something new. I know several of you have tried it and liked it, so I'm hoping I'll have similar experiences. Many people also have suggested JC Penneys, which is actually one of the few stores left in our local mall, so I will definitely have to check it out next weekend after this upcoming exam.

After returning the Banana Republic peplum top because it was actually a really flimsy material rather than a structured top as I had assumed (it looks like the one commenter agrees with me), I've kept my eye out for something similar. This one via Nordstrom looks to be a lot more structured so I may just try it out (no harm done since it's free shipping and returns). I'm also keeping an eye out for a J.Crew promotion so I can try this dress (it looks gorgeous in real life!), and these pants for the spring (if it ever shows up).

I know that I'm not really straying too far from the stores I usually shop at, but I am trying to keep an open mind about new styles of items and ways to wear them. Sometimes the problem with having a budget is that I want to squeeze the most out of that I can. I've definitely learned a lot about shopping and buying clothes that fit me and my life over the last two years of budgeting, but I still haven't completely figured it out. I think it's important to realize that sometimes it's okay to spend a bit more on pieces that will also get a lot of wear and love. I definitely have to find a balance between getting as much out of my budget as possible, and only buying pieces I'm really excited about. Thank you for supporting me on this little journey, and for all of your advice so far!

The ladies that link up every month for Budgeting Bloggers have been a huge influence on me, so please make sure you visit them and see what they've been up to this month!



33 comments:

  1. I have been loving JCPenney the past year or so. The Joe Fresh line is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got some great deals and pieces at Penney's this month. It was the first time in quite awhile that I shopped there. I love that Etsy necklace you posted. Really pretty. I totally agree about the winter weather, too. I'm in Ohio, and it is still so cold and snowy. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fran, I love the pieces you got this past month! Totally cute, and so versatile. I'm excited to see how you style them in the future.

    adifferentfashionmm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stitchfix as a special treat, but just to warn you your first fix might really stink. I had that experience and I've heard that others have as well. After a few fixes your stylist starts to get you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to second the Jacquelyn's comment about your first Stitch Fix. I just received my second box and it's already drastically better than the first box! I feel like my stylist "got me" this time around!

      Delete
  5. Hi Fran, thanks for doing this. I cannot wait to try the new Capris at J.Crew. I'm hoping to make it into a store in March to try them on.
    Best Wishes,
    L
    http://hersoulsociety.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those flats are super cute. I'm excited to see how you wear them regardless of not so ideal weather you're having. The weather will pass. Besides, would you rather be stuck indoors studying while there's beautiful weather outside? I try to tell myself this and it sometimes work...Good luck on your upcoming exam! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have really learned a lot about spending a little more on things that are worth it - i.e. classic pieces that I'll have forever. In the past I was so worried about my budget that I would just buy a lot of cheap things. It's definitely a tough balance!

    I didn't buy anything this month, or else you know I would totally link up :) I'm interested to hear about your stitch fix!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're looking for some new stores, I recommend checking out Lands' End too - some of the stuff is fairly basic, but they always have a few really cute pieces every season and some awesome sales. Plus you can't beat their return policy - any time for any reason!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another vote for JCPenney here! Joe Fresh and the jcp brand usually have the best offerings.
    I really love those cap-toe flats you bought!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started browsing Lands End because of Lisa! I also like JCPenney, ASOS, and I have a great dress from Dorothy Perkins. Sometimes you have to look in the most random places to get out of that rut.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This necklace is so pretty! I just spent some time browsing that etsy shop; there are some great pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a feeling that once the weather gets warmer, you'll have a renewed excitement about your wardrobe and shopping. It's really hard to get jazzed when the snow and cold doesn't stop. (I can't tell you how tired I am of wearing boots and toting my work shoes back and forth.) You know I'm a huge advocate of spending more on less. It feels more satisfying and I'm always more excited to wear those items. That said, I spent an ungodly amount of money last month. I don't even want to add it up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should really try budgeting like this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep! I'm waiting for a better J.Crew promotion too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a lot of grad school friends who do Stitchfix because of time constraints - I will be interested to see how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love the scarf and flats you picked up! And as far as places to shop, I really really love Asos. Obviously some of the things on there are not work appropriate (or med school uniform appropriate), but I have had good luck with sizing and they offer free shipping ON EVERYTHING. That's huge for me! They also regularly have sales, so I would say give it a try! I hope you have good luck with Stitchfix!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That scarf is darling! I'm glad I found your site because I am such a bargain shopper!
    xx,
    Ashley | Raspberry Glow

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful scarf. It may be the least you've spent in a while, but each piece you came away with this month is really pretty.

    Sammi
    http://sammirambles2012.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  20. Wow! I don't remember the last time I only spent $50 on clothes...haha... I need something to keep me busy so I don't keep going to the mall!
    I love the scarf you got!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW, only 4 items and less than $60? Good for you! I love the 4 things you got. I wish I had your restraint!

    -AJ
    OccasionallyAJ.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like all your buys, this floral scarf is so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Doesn't it feel good not to spend a lot? I spent the least in February, too, I think because I'm sick of winter clothes but ready for spring! - J

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am always seeing cute stuff from Penney's online - hope you find some goodies there!
    xx
    Here&Now

    ReplyDelete
  25. As for department stores, I personally love JCPenney! Let us know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I bought this dress at the store yesterday - I couldn't resist. It's so comfy and such a steal! Good luck with Fix Stitch and can't wait for your review.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for hosting! It's my first time linking here and I hope to be back next month.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey, just thought I'd let you know I love what you're doing here with your shopping budgets. I'm new to the blog world! =)

    xx Katie

    ReplyDelete
  29. I seriously am meaning to do budget posts to log up, but am a slacker recently! Can't wait to hear what you think of Stitchfix- I have 2 giftcards for there floating around the place if you want them. I got them in PopSugar boxes, but they don't have my sizes (yet.).

    ReplyDelete
  30. Women love owning a actual designer handbag. Some get the same happiness from selecting the ideal handbag that men get when making a brand spanking new vehicle purchase.
    Tory Burch handbags

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing and chatting with you guys, so please make sure you aren't a "No Reply" commenter (that means your email address isn't shown when you leave a comment so I can't email you back!).