Saturday, December 29, 2012

6 months of 2012: a review

Well, all the cool kids are doing it, so I felt obligated to do it too. Don't worry, I won't show you every.single.outfit of the year because if you cared that much, you know where the archives are ;) I only started blogging this year, and spent a good 2 months of that time as a "hiding in the bathroom faceless blogger" (my first real world post is here! such a baby) so it's really only a "best of the last 6 months" kind of roundup. Either way, here's a list of the best, worst, and wtf was I thinking of the year:

Favorite Outfit of the Year: This outfit is my favorite for several reasons. It has my new favorite purse in it, I really like this (new to me) color combination, and it has the perfect feminine/masculine vibe going on that I've realized is what I tend to gravitate towards. Plus the photography gods were on my side that day so overall, favorite.

Biggest WTF of the Year: This pattern-on-pattern monstrosity. In theory, not too bad since pattern mixing is all about staying in the same color family. Unfortunately, this is just too much, too bright, too overwhelming. You live, you learn. I'll stick to little pattern mixing instead.

Biggest Regret Purchase: Although these pants were only $20, I've only worn them one time. I don't really love drawing that much attention to my legs so bright green pants weren't the smartest purchase for me. I think this was one of those "everyone has colored jeans, I NEED THEM TOO" purchases. I've definitely learned my lesson.

Favorite Manicure of the Year: Although extremely simple in design and execution, I love this manicure and hold myself back from recreating it every week.

Biggest Learning Experience: I'm a huge fan of and participant on GOMI. There are some really smart and sassy ladies on there, and I love going to place that allows me to feel sane when looking at some of the more out there blogs. I've met some of my favorite bloggers on there as well. That being said, being on an anonymous site doesn't always mean you're anonymous. I've learned that as unoffensive as you try to be on the internet in general, you aren't going to please everyone but for every 1 person who dislikes you, there are in general 10 that do like you. My face and thighs aren't those of a supermodel, but I think I can add a little bit of value to "fashion" blogging as a whole in a normal girl kind of way.

Most Pageviews of the Year: This post about a little trick Bri taught me has 3 times as many views as the next highest viewed post. I hope all of the repins on pinterest have helped a lot of other women with the art of layering ;)

Favorite Thrifted Item: I'm pretty new to thrifting. My mother, literally the most stylish woman I know, is a huge thrift store person, so it's almost embarrassing to admit that reading blogs motivated me to finally go to a thrift store. I haven't purchased that much, but this mustard cardigan is my favorite. I'm unsure what the original brand is, or how old it is, but I love the color and fit, so I don't even care.

Favorite DIY of the Year: My tube bracelets are my favorite thing I've made this year, with my flannel scarf coming in as a close second. I made them in gold and silver, and reach for them almost every single day. Plus the materials cost less than $10 and are super easy to make - cheap and easy: sounds good to me!

Most Worn/Favorite Purchase: My favorite purchase of the year is also my most worn (makes sense, huh?). My J. Crew Schoolboy blazer, which was a birthday present to myself, is the most expensive piece of clothing I own, but I know the cost per wear will eventually be less than a lot of my cheaper pieces of clothing.

So that's it! I hope 2013 brings me the foresight to make smarter purchases to fill the holes in my closet, to still expirement with my clothes, and to continue to have fun with this little hobby.

40 comments:

  1. Ok, I personally really like the pattern mixing in that second post! It's super cute, and the fact that the colors are closely related makes it totally doable in my book! :)

    Also: I have yet to purchase a single pair of colored skinnies because they un-flatter my least-flattering area. I've been on the hunt for colored skinnies for the better part of this whole year, but until they start making my thighs look like a skinnier girl's thighs, it's probably not going to happen. LOL.

    Also also: GOMI terrifies me. Some of the girls there are relentlessly wretched and mean! A girl is just trying to have a fashion blog and they're all "SHE'S HIDEOUS. HER OUTFIT IS HIDEOUS. LET'S DISSECT HER AND HER PRIVATE LIFE." I haven't spent a lot of time in the "stay on my internet" section, but yeah. Not a fan of GOMI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also just was thinking "How does this girl update so much and I never catch the updates!??!". Except turns out I always just go to your direct blog every few days and I'm not even technically following you.

    Fixed that! Following on GFC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the color mixing in your favorite outfit too! And I don't think those green pants look bad! You should wear them more often! So glad to have "met" you this year!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you did this little rundown. I'm a new follower, so it's nice to have some direction back to some of your best (& worst). I'm thinking of doing the same! Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab 6 month round up! I hear you on the colored skinniess. I got a nice pair in mint at LOFT this spring, but have actually only wore them a few times. Excited to have found your blog ... wishing you a happy 2013!

    -Emily
    www.herphilly.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great round up, something a bit different- a refreshing take on a year in review. Most page views is an interesting one, I've never seen anyone do that before (plus at the time I remember thinking the layering tip was a great idea!). You definitely add value as a blogger. Happy new year from the UK!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome post - i can definitely see how that blazer is your favorite purchase! here's to 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recap! I just started following you in the last few weeks, so it's great to see what I've been missing throughout the year. Happy New Year =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you set this up! And I love that you love GOMI.. I definitely read. blog reading is obviously a solo activity, so I have all of these opinions about these people and no one to justify them. GOMI fills the void of friends who read blogs in my life :)

    And that tank top trick is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome round-up! I'm not sure how you manage to do these rather typical 'blogger' things (like a year-end recap) and still sound fresh and authentic, but you do it like a pro. Love it.

    And I do like that pattern mixing in the second post, too! The colors make it work, for sure. And GOMI? I looove Gomi. I get why it's not for everyone, but...oh man...some of those catladies are HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terra :) I really appreciate that comment.

      and yes, love that place. it has kept me sane and honestly I think it also makes me a better blogger. I see what others don't like or what bothers people and I try not to do that, ya know?

      Delete
  11. Wow-- I had never heard of GOMI before, and there is a mad load of hate on it! Great entertainment, but seriously... Can't we all just get along??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought a pair of green pants this year, too, and I only wore them twice. Colored denim looks fun on other people, but it just felt weird on me.

    And that snarky comment that someone made on GOMI about the awesome outfit you're wearing in the middle photo? That's what brought me to your blog for the first time, because I thought, "Hey, that outfit is actually really cute, I don't know what all the snark is for!"

    I do live in constant fear of someone putting one of my outfits in the "worst outfits" thread :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hated when I saw your pic pop up on GOMI. Not even close to a "worst fashion blogging picture"! Keep on doing you, girlfriend!

    -Elissa
    Professionally Petite

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found you through GOMI. But unlike the poster, I loved your look, clicked over to your site and have been following you ever since...and definitely NOT as a hate read :) No worries, I'm sure you gained page views from the exposure! I'm guilty of having snarked on some of *those* bloggers though.

    I tried your layering trick the other day, but it sadly didn't work out because my v-neck was too low and was revealing my "secret" tank underneath. I will try it again soon.

    clotheskarma.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should definitely wear those pants more! They look fab on you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on six months of blogging - and here's to many more! I sometimes go back through my own archives and some of the outfits I've put together makes me cringe in a not-good way! Ah well, fashion is about experimenting and learning.

    Have a great New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on your six months of blogging! You really are one of my favourites, for sure!

    I found you through GOMI. I was pretty active on there for a few months because I found the community side of it really great and there are so many really amazing, witty and intelligent on there. I was just finding all the body snarking and the borderline stalking (looking up personal records, the public records of family members etc) really toxic and unnecessary so I stopped hangin' out there. Your thighs and face may not be that of a supermodel - mine sure as shit aren't - but neither do 95% of women have that. You're gorgeous and have a fab sense of style. I was another that loved the middle outfit :)

    I am hiding most of the time on my blog and you inspire me to stop being a 'fraidy cat and start posting outfits on my blog. Thanks for being awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, and i don't think your mint skinnies are a fail. They look awesome I am 99% sure you will wear them loads come Spring and Summer x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this recap. I also loved the middle outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found you through GOMI also! I've gone through your archives and I really enjoy your style. Definitely giving me inspiration (and hope) for my post-baby wardrobe revamp.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Found you via Kimmie's blog, and you had me at "faceless bathroom blogger" - haha! Love finding fashion blogs that also carry wit and originality.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this roundup (and am totally using that tank top trick).

    Side note: Can I just say how much I adore reading your blog? You're so down to earth. It's a nice change from some of the other blogs I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica, that means a lot :) You already know how I feel about your blog (if not....I love it)

      Delete
  23. I love your blog and could only hope to be as awesome and successful as you :) Great post.

    myfashionatelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I found you through GOMI. I love the looks you pull together. They're accessible and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i actually like your patten mixing "WTF" outfit.. :) happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really like your 6 month recap. I had no idea that you have only been blogging for such a short amount of time! Maybe you should do a "Behind the Blog" feature on yourself so we can know why YOU started blogging and all that :)

    Some bloggers (won't name names) do obnoxious year end recaps with favorite outfit after outfit after outfit, and it's just annoying. I really like your recap though! And WTF with the chewed gum comment? I'm just glad that all the GOMIers stood up to defend you, because I think you're pretty awesome :)

    I like that a lot of people have commented on this post with "I found you via GOMI" which means they are my people. I will have to do some blog stalking later... :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad your blazer is your Most Worn/Favorite Purchase - it definitely should be after the time you spent finding the perfect one. That was such a good idea to really put the effort in to find the one you knew would work for you!

    Jess - J's Style
    fancypants514.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm dying for mustard colored SOMETHING. Flats, preferably.

    I love that mani. Very sparkly but elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am definitely going to have to try that trick with layering the tank! What a great idea!! And oh my goodness - I've never heard of GOMI, but it sounds sort of terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I found your blog through GOMI and I'm so glad I did! I love to lurk both sites =P your outfits are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I wish it were cold enough here to layer the way you did with the leopard print/sweater. I would be doing a outfit change by 9am though. Texas=perpetually humid. I am excited to be your newest sponsor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am so proud of you. And you truly have inspired me. I adore your sense of style and think you are a genuine girl. Thanks for all the love and support! Keep ding what you're doing. Cheers to 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great recap dear :) It's been great being blogger buddies and I look forward to a fun new year in fashion! PS, I never saw that post on layering a tank over a button down to help with layering... um, genius! Happy New Year!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  34. I personally love the bright skinny jeans, they definitely suit you! As for those black and gold nails, I'm totally going to give those a whirl - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Fell in love with your style and blog:-) following you now with gfc#436 and bloglovin:-)!!!! Wish you many great outfits this year and tons of inspirations:-)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your recap post! I started my blog this year too, but I'm still headless in all my pictures (I'm a chicken to show my face!!). I LOVE your favorite outfit choice, purple/green is my fav combo too! The mani is fab, you can do that technique with all different base colors! And I don't think that WTF outfit was that bad...I like the idea of mixing the gingham and polka dots, but maybe not the color combo? Either way, good job at branching out! You're one of my new fav blogs to follow!

    -AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great recap! I love your fave outfit pic too, it's so cute, cozy, casual, chic, and you all in one. I don't think your pattern mixing is bad at all though, or the green pants, but I totally see what you mean about looking back and feeling like something you wore just wasn't "you" or your style. Personally I love the green pants on you though ;) Plus it's always good to take risks like that, and if $20 was the only thing you wasted on that lesson, that's a cheap lesson! And the black and gold nails are faaaaaab, I need to try that mani stat (hope I can make it happen tonight... I'll post it tomorrow if I do!)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just discovered your blog through Sam and I love all of your looks, especially those green jeans which I think look fab on you.

    Nicole
    sequinedpatterns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing and chatting with you guys, so please make sure you aren't a "No Reply" commenter (that means your email address isn't shown when you leave a comment so I can't email you back!).