Sunday, March 1, 2015

top three [03.01.2015]

my favorite gold watch [save | exact] : one | two | three

medicine
  • Buerger's Disease is a form of vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels) that affects mainly medium to small vessels in the hands and feet. Almost all people who get this are smokers (the treatment is actually to stop smoking!) but what I found most interesting is that it can lead to auto-amputation (because the blood isn't circulating correctly, so fingers / toes / feet become gangrenous and die). This video (warning! it's pretty graphic) shows just the extent of what this disease can do. 
  • I'm sure you've heard stories about people who found tumors in their bodies and claimed that they were their "twin" that they ate in utero, because the tumors had hair and teeth. Those are actually teratomas - they are tumors that contain parts of what look like normal components of the body (hair, teeth, bones). When we were in cadaver lab, we would find these random pieces of dark hair throughout our cadaver's body (like we put cut into a muscle, and pull out hairs) and we would joke that they were "two cell teratomas". There are some pretty gnarly pictures out there, so google at your own risk! 
  • Endometriosis is a fairly common condition where endometrium (the cells that line the uterus) implant in areas they shouldn't. This can cause a variety of symptoms, depending on where the endometrial tissue is. I think the most interesting case is when implants in an ovary. Like regular endometrial tissue, the transplanted tissue still responds to hormones and will undergo the same changes as uterine tissue does during the menstrual cycle. The growth and sloughing off, with no where to go, eventually leads to something called a "chocolate cyst" in the ovary - it really does look like melted chocolate. 

on the internet
  • more instagram tips - while technically for small businesses, you can totally use these for your own "blogging" business
  • winter whites, done right (plus her bag is like my dream cognac bag!) 
  • I love when I can see different ways to wear the same piece, so I loved Jean's 10 different outfits with one of my favorite pieces of hers. I know I wouldn't be able to wear the necklace much once rotations started, or else I would totally have purchased it. 

spotted
  • I've been a little bored with my neutrals + neutrals + neutrals routine lately, and so I'm trying to step outside of my normal stripes, whites, tans routine by ordering this colorblocked lilac shirt. Who knows, maybe I'll end up hating it, or it'll be the shirt I can't stop wearing this spring and summer. I also added on a pretty salmon bow blouse (it comes in talls!), just to really get spring started...with the several feet of snow we still have on the ground ;)
  • Thoughts on this dress for a spring wedding? I've always wanted a pretty maxi dress!
  • This is the cutest tech gadget ever. Gold polka dots!

on franish

notable sales

personal
  • Things are looking a little different around here! After a very frustrating initial experience with finding someone to do my re-design, I found Maru on Etsy and I just can't say enough good things about my experience working with her. She was such a professional and such a joy to work with - prompt with emails, totally willing to make the smallest of changes, and we were just very much on the same page about what I wanted my blog to look like. If you are looking for someone to do the same for you, really go check out her Etsy shop. She offers everything from social media buttons to template designs to custom designs (the option I chose) at a very affordable price. 
  • While I refused to read the books, my roommate wanted to see 50 Shades of Grey for her birthday so we all went a few weeks ago. It was ridiculous (although entertaining!) but the best thing in that entire movie was this song. I can't stop listening to it! Second best part was the few snapshots of Seattle - I'm already looking forward to the next time I can go back.
  • CR's family came down to visit us this weekend, and it was so great to hang out with them for the evening. My family is currently spread out all over the world - from South Africa (my sister) to Hungary (my brother) to Alabama (my mom) to Jakarta (my dad) - so it was nice to have "family" time with people who are a bit closer to my current home. I would love for my own family to come visit though (hint hint ;) )