Wednesday, December 26, 2012

December Budget

1. Target Sweater {seen here}: on sale for $13
2. Julep Clutch & Nail polish: $30 - $20 credit = $10
3. Thrifted Wool Sweater {seen here}: $3
4. J. Crew Excursion Vest {seen here}: $110 x 30% off = $77
5. Madewell Tote {seen here}: $168 + 30% off + monogram fee = $135
6. Thrifted Cardigan {seen here}: $3

= $241 - $230 sold on eBay after fees = $11

This month I did go over budget, but I knew I was doing a lot of selling on eBay so I consider it a trade-off for my closet and budget.  I mentioned that I sold a smaller purse in exchange for my new Madewell tote, which is a purchase I've been contemplating for a long time now. I feel that a large tote bag is something I'm going to get a lot of use out of, which I can't say about the smaller green crossbody I sold (which I've only used three times in the 6 months I owned it). The vest was a purchase I've also been thinking about for a while as I wanted a thinner vest for layering in the winter, so I'm glad I bought it while I could before it sold out, but still during a sale. I realized that on days that I'm pressed for time when getting ready, I always grab for my dark grey v-neck sweater, so buying the Target sweater only made sense (plus it's so soft and so inexpensive). The Julep clutch was a Christmas promotion that had 1 sparkly clutch (something I didn't have at all but realized I would like in my closet), 3 nail polishes and a few little extras. The two thrifted items have already born worn a ton in the short time they've been in my closet, so I'm happy I got quality pieces for such a small amount.

Overall, I'm really pleased with how this month panned out. I sold some items that hadn't gotten any use in months/years, and have added pieces I know will be worn a lot. Next month I intend to buy some of the holes in my closet -  black pumps for interviews coming up (somewhat of a bummer to spend money on something I won't get a lot of use out of right away but something I need), possibly a black blazer that Audrey recommended, and I'm going to be on the look out for suede boots if I can find some in a decent price range. If not, that'll have to wait until February.

So how did you do this month? Did Christmas shopping mean you didn't spend much on yourself, or did the post holiday sales help you score some great deals? Link up below! Please make sure you link back so your readers can discover other budgetting bloggers.


26 comments:

  1. Great use of your budget! I'm still super bummed I didn't get to snag that vest in herringbone before it sold out. Maybe it will pop up somewhere again. Cute clutch with the extras too!

    -AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing picks! I LOVE your tote :) And definitely a trade off between selling clothes and buying new ones. I am currently trying to do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this monthly budget idea! You got some great deals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the vest! I have it in The black/cream chevron print. What name can we find you under on EBay?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to know how you do so well on eBay. I had such a hard time selling anything on there. Do you mind sharing your username so we can see how you do your listings? I'm just curious what I might be doing wrong.

    My December budget = blown. Shocker. If nothing, doing your budgeting roundups the last three months taught me that I need to save save save from March through September, when there's nothing that I can wear in San Francisco available in stores and online, and to splurge at the sales during the fall and winter. I've loved everything that I've bought, and bought classics, but goodness, it hurt the budget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did really well this month - you really only spent $11! I will be linking up once I write a post :)

    -Elissa
    Professionally Petite

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crazy that you were able to make so much money from selling clothes on ebay! But it'd be better to clear out the closet and fill it with quality pieces like you've shown here. :) I've got to have at least 18 purses in my closet, or more, all probably purchased for somewhere between $10-$40, and I'd gladly trade them all in for a few timeless, high-quality purses.

    Love this budget idea! I have a monthly "fun money" budget as well. It doesn't apply just to clothing/makeup though, it's pretty much the money I can spend that isn't on bills, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you have a good mix of new (love the tote!) and thrifted buys this month. That's the best, getting the thrifting bug really does help to get more for your money, but new quality goods are so nice too!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
    Ginny
    mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. i went a bit over... but after yesterday i think it will all be okay. ;) love all of your purchases this month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two of your items from this month (the Target sweater and the Madewell bag) are on my current wish list. I tried to find the sweater a few weeks ago in my local store, but they were out of all the colors I wanted in my size! I wish I could've taken advantage of that Madewell sale, but I'm going to have to save up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Giiiirl you're an inspiration. And I LOVE that vest. Looks amazeballs on you.


    Samantha @ Sam ipsa loquitur

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been following your blog for a little while now. I have a "budget" I'm supposed to be sticking to monthly but I usually blow right through it. I got to the point earlier this year where I had to unsubscribe from all online shops because it was just too tempting. But then I felt like I was missing out on some good deals...so I re-subscribed to a few. Oh, the struggle. ;) Anyway, documenting my purchases each month on my blog is a good way to hold myself accountable...and letting a couple friends in on the details of my budget for extra accountability is probably a good idea, too. Looking forward to linking up with you in the near future!

    xo, Angela
    www.selfless-ambition.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done! I love that Madewell tote... the color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great picks! I totally love that Madewell handbag. Looks like the perfect size for everyday.
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have that same Target sweater in grey, I love it! Maybe I should look into eBay for selling my clothes, you made a killing!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pick with the Madewell tote...so versatile and the color is gorgeous. It's one of those pieces that you can plan on having for a long time...
    And can I just say that I love how you balance your budget/spending with your work on ebay?! I'm posting a few things on ebay today and I just had to tell you that!
    xo - Marion

    ReplyDelete
  17. That tote is so fabulous - what a perfect classic piece!!!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  18. Budgeting in December isn't the easiest, but it looks like you totally rocked it! I love the brown tote and definitely think it was a good move adding that to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  19. December is not yet over, so I still have plenty of opportunities to spend $$$$, thus my late linking. That Target sweater? Those are my favorite, except all the colors/styles/sizes that I wanted were all sold out by the time I found out they were only $13 :( Bummer.

    Love your new Madewell tote!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i really like the vest, and the tote is such a classic item that is totally useful, so definitely a good buy.

    I could have done better this month, I did buy a ton of stuff on cyber monday, and i think i'll return 90% of it. and i only bought one thing the day after christmas.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just came across your blog and I LOVE your monthly budget such a great idea!

    xoxo
    Val
    http://styletoenvy.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woah lady - nothing like replacing things you don't get much use out of, with such fabulous wardrobe staples! Totally in love with your new vest and leather tote (looking for one of my own!). I am coming back to own up to my shopping habit soon!
    xx
    Here&Now

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice work this month! I totally agree that if you sell stuff, that should offset anything you buy :) I probably overspent in December too (haven't even added it up yet, but I'm planning on doing some kind of post about it soon...), but I don't think it was really as bad as I was expecting. I found some really good deals on Christmas Eve, but actually haven't even been tempted since Christmas Day, so I have no idea if there were any decent sales! Trying for a no (or very low) buy in January to start of the year by using the stuff I have already!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are amazing! Such a good idea and very well executed. I have come some advice too about all of your money Budgeting. Thanks for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing and chatting with you guys, so please make sure you aren't a "No Reply" commenter (that means your email address isn't shown when you leave a comment so I can't email you back!).